Juventus have confirmed the signing of Argentine forward Carlos Tevez from Manchester City.
The move will see Tevez leave the Etihad Stadium, having spent four seasons there following his controversial switch from city rivals Manchester United in 2009.
A statement from the club read: Juventus Football Club has today completed the capture of Carlos Alberto Tevez from Manchester City.
The Argentine forward, who will wear the number 10 shirt, has agreed to sign a contract which will keep him with the club until 30 June 2016.
Tevez sparked outrage while at the Etihad Stadium when he was alleged to have refused to play during a UEFA Champions League fixture at Bayern Munich in September 2011.
Following the incident, then-City boss Roberto Mancini said the Arg…
Steven Gerrard is ready for a critical week as England look to secure their place at next year s FIFA World Cup finals.
Roy Hodgson s side have two games remaining in their qualifying group and know that victories in both games will guarantee their place at Brazil 2014.
Gerrard will lead his side against Montenegro on Friday before welcoming Poland to Wembley on Tuesday.
The England captain understands exactly what is at stake in the next seven days and he insists that the squad are ready to deliver.
This is as critical a week as English football has known for a long time, he admitted. There s a lot of expectations, from the fans, the media and in and among the group as well. Everyone wants to be at this World Cup.
So it is very critical. We need to go out …
Zlatan Ibrahimovic s late goal sent Paris Saint-Germain into the Coupe de France final, securing a hard-fought 1-0 win at Lorient on Tuesday.
The holders had struggled to break down a resilient Lorient outfit but the prolific striker came to his side s rescue after 75 minutes with another fine goal.
Ibrahimovic was given space on the edge of the box and his shot was too clever for Lorient goalkeeper Benjamin Lecomte to keep out.
The hosts had chances of their own, with Salvatore Sirigu denying both Abdul Majeed Waris and Benjamin Moukandjo, but PSG held on for their eighth straight victory against Lorient.
PSG s hopes of a historic successive domestic treble are still alive and they extend a club record of 11 successive Coupe de France victories ah…
Lisandro Lopez is set to end his four-year spell at Lyon and move to Qatari side Al-Gharafa.
Lopez joined Lyon from Porto in 2009, but his stint at the Stade de Gerland has proved to be largely unsuccessful.
The Argentinian has been prolific in his time at Lyon, but has only been able to secure one major trophy, winning the Coupe de France in 2012.
His departure leaves Bafetimbi Gomis whose proposed moved to Newcastle is on hold as their only senior centre forward.
A statement on Lyon s official website read: Olympique Lyonnais announces it s acceptance of a request made to president Jean-Michel Aulas, at the end of the May and again in July, by Lisandro Lopez to leave the club in the summer transfer window for personal reasons.
Lisandro was authorised to t…
Mexico international and Real Sociedad forward Carlos Vela will join incoming MLS franchise Los Angeles FC in January.
Vela, 28, confirmed his move to LAFC as a designated player via Twitter on Tuesday, ahead of the club s inaugural season in 2018.
My new Club in 2018.
— carlos vela (@11carlosV)
Earlier on Tuesday, LaLiga side Sociedad had revealed an agreement was in place for Vela to swap Spain for the United States.
Vela will remain at Sociedad until linking up with LAFC – co-owned by NBA great Magic Johnson and Hollywood star Will Ferrell – during the January transfer window.
The pieces are slowly coming together at LAFC following the appointed of former USA head coach and Swansea City manager Bob Bradley.
Ve…
Jose Mourinho says success for Real Madrid under Zinedine Zidane in the Champions League would gloss over the club s season and make fans forget about Rafael Benitez s reign.
Barcelona are hot favourites to win La Liga over Madrid going into the last week of the season, while the Santiago Bernabeu side were expelled from the Copa del Rey for fielding an ineligible player, Denis Cheryshev, against Cadiz in December.
But Real have the chance to win an 11th Champions League title when they face Atletico Madrid in Milan on May 28 and Mourinho thinks that will ensure the club s problems under current Newcastle United boss Benitez – who was sacked in January – will be forgotten.
Zidane arrived late during the middle of the season but has been instrumental in trans…
Der Klassiker is a fixture guaranteed to whet the appetite of football purists the world over and an intriguing subplot involving Bayern Munich goal machine Robert Lewandowski and Borussia Dortmund hitman Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will once again come to the fore.
Since Aubameyang made the move to the Bundesliga from Saint-Etienne in 2013, initially as a team-mate of Lewandowski at Dortmund, the two have been waging a fierce battle for goal-scoring supremacy in Germany s top flight.
Domestically, Dortmund s fine start to the season has been derailed by a three-match winless streak that has allowed rivals Bayern, rejuvenated under the returning Jupp Heynckes, to regain a familiar position atop the table.
But with just three points separating the two, Saturday s r…
Mikel Arteta has called time on his playing career following the expiration of his Arsenal contract to work under Pep Guardiola as a coach at Manchester City.
The 34-year-old has struggled with injuries in recent seasons and did not make a single Premier League start for Arsene Wenger s men last term, coming off the bench on nine occasions.
Having come through the Barcelona youth system, Arteta s career saw him play for Paris Saint-Germain, Rangers, Real Sociedad and Everton, before arriving at Emirates Stadium in 2011, becoming captain in 2014.
In a statement, Arteta said: Following recent media speculation surrounding my future I can confirm that I will be leaving Arsenal and retiring from playing to take up a coaching position at Manchester City.
I ve…
Verdict: Under 2.5 goals
Best Odds:
Bookmaker:
Burnley will be hoping to continue their strong start to the season on Monday night as they entertain a Newcastle United side also performing well in the Premier League.
Burnley
It’s been a successful start to the season for Burnley and they currently find themselves eighth in the league with 13 points from eight games. Sean Dyche’s men had been installed as relegation candidates prior to the campaign but they have been surprising, especially on the road where they have already taken maximum points from Chelsea and Everton, while also gaining respectable draws at Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool. This is a far cry from last year’s away record in which the Claret’s didn’t manage their first away w…
Swansea City have announced the signing of striker Borja Baston from Atletico Madrid for a club record fee of £15.5million.
The Spain youth international has agreed a four-year deal to become the club s most expensive player, eclipsing the £12m they paid to sign Wilfried Bony from Vitesse in 2013.
Swansea City have completed the signing of Atletico Madrid striker Borja Baston for a club-record fee of £15.5million, subject to international clearance, a Swansea statement confirmed.
The 23-year-old, who will wear squad number 10, has penned a four-year deal after undergoing a successful medical today.
:writing_hand: complete club-record signing of Borja Baston from for £15.5m
:arrow_right:
— Swansea City AFC (@SwansOfficial)